QLD Power of attorney to sign house transfer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

soup

11 June 2022
I am overseas at the moment and need to sign the property house transfer for a sale of my parents house which I am on the deed for. Can I get a POA and how long will it take?

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Powers of attorney are simple and quick to get drawn up. Any commercial solicitor will be able to assist. The added issue for you is that the PoA must be registered with the Department of Titles before you can execute any documents under it.

Further, when signing Titles Office documents you will need to get an appropriately qualified witness. Who that can be depends on where you are in the world. In most countries it will have to be a Notary Public or an Australian Consular Official - then you'll have to send the physical transfer document back.

Signing the PoA is likely to be the shortest part of the journey.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Why can't your parents sign the sale papers for themselves?

Reactions: Nighthelyn
It is important that the document is carefully prepared in line with your instructions and the local law where it is to be recognised. For the Power of Attorney document to work efficiently, it will need to be drafted in accordance with the local laws of the country where the Attorney and property are located.

As an example, if you live in Australia but own an apartment in Singapore and would like to appoint a person in that country to manage it, your Power of Attorney document would need to be worded so as to reflect the laws of Singapore rather than Australia.

Usually then, Power of Attorney documents are prepared by lawyers in the country where the document is intended to be used. Once it is prepared, it is sent to Australia in order for it to be signed before a Notary Public.
Thanks. Hit Wicket