QLD Power of Attorney Expectations

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jac Rough

5 October 2019
Queensland
I was Enduring Power of Attorney for my Mum who recently died. A nasty sibling is demanding to see financial records back nearly twenty years, even though I was only EPOA for last five years. I have helped Mum with her accounts for twenty years and she was of sound mind till a few years ago. Does anyone have the right to ask for these things?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
No, but the executor of the will likely has the right to do so, and the public guardian can have them audited. You must have kept records of any transaction done under the power of attorney. Prior to that, they’re not your records.

Reactions: Jac Rough

Jac Rough

5 October 2019
Queensland
No, but the executor of the will likely has the right to do so, and the public guardian can have them audited. You must have kept records of any transaction done under the power of attorney. Prior to that, they’re not your records.

Thanks Rob, yes I have all records re EPOA so no problem there. So you mean the executor can view and the public guardian can audit Mum's account? That's ok too as they are her records, not mine. Guess that sort of thing would drain the estate.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
No, I'm referring to your records of acting as an attorney. That could be more than just your mother's bank account transactions.

Reactions: Jac Rough