TAS Possible to Get Conviction for Assault Years Later?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Muggle

25 September 2016
Tasmania
I went through a particularly traumatic assult 7 years ago. I never reported it. This is something I have regretted for years. It was a life changing experience.

I was hurt physically and also developed PTSD. The person who assaulted me (my partner at the time) faced no consequences and has no remorse. He is still abusing women today. I was not strong at the time of the assault, but I would really like to report it now.

He also assaulted me on other occasions, including breaking my teeth, dislodging my tailbone and hitting me with hard objects (also never reported). I just need him to know that it's not ok and that I didn't just let him get away with it.

The only "evidence" I have left are my psychology records. I had treatment for PTSD about a year after it happened. My psychologist documented some of the details of the assaults.

Do I have any hope for a conviction?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Depends on the attitude of the local police. All you can do is report it and let the police handle it from there.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Same general rule applies in Tasmania. As long as it is not a summary offence which has a 12 months limitation, all serious criminal offences have no time limitations.

Muggle

25 September 2016
Tasmania
Thanks for clarifying that.

I have a few more questions if that is ok.

As far as evidence goes...

A. Could psychology reports be used as evidence?

B. Could I use other medical reports as evidence? (When I sought treatment for my injuries I told them I had hurt myself by accident so there is no record of assault but there is at least evidence of traumatic injury.)

C. Would statements from family and friends who witnessed various signs of abuse be considered reliable evidence?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
A: Not sure, suspect yes.
B: Yes
C: They can testify as to injuries they saw.

sammy01

27 September 2015
I think you'd be opening up a big can of worms. Chances of getting a conviction? Hard to say.