VIC Possible for Buyer to Go to Civil Court in NSW?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Joybelle48

19 November 2015
I sold an older vintage type car. The buyer was interstate I strongly suggested they look at the car and they sent an expert who spent 2 hours inspecting the car while on the phone with the potential buyer. He inspected the motor and started the car, advised the buyer the motor was perfect.

I told the inspector to tell the buyer everything he considered was wrong with the car. I didn't mind, so he did. The buyer elected to purchase the car. After it arrived, he wasn't happy and wanted me to pay for the return trip from interstate to Victoria and return his money. I wasn't willing to do this.

I gave him an invoice which stated, "purchased as inspected with all faults, if any", which he accepted and then paid for the car. I reluctantly offered $2000 for him to have repairs to the motor (which the inspector advised was perfect, a few days before it reached the purchaser.) He is threatening to visit my home with an older person to resolve this and also other texts which I consider are threats. I am aware I could take out an AVO.

His latest threat is to take legal action against me in a civil court in NSW. Could you please help if this is possible when he purchased the car from Victoria. Please keep in mind, the car is 60 years old.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
If I read this correctly, everyone and everything,
except the buyer himself, was either physically in Victoria, or happened in Victoria?

If that's the case, then the buyer (plaintiff) will need to persuade
the court in NSW that it even has jurisdiction.

Assuming this guy goes through with his threat,
then your lawyer could almost immediately bring an application
to dismiss the matter for want of jurisdiction.

Reactions: Joybelle48

Joybelle48

19 November 2015
If I read this correctly, everyone and everything,
except the buyer himself, was either physically in Victoria, or happened in Victoria?

If that's the case, then the buyer (plaintiff) will need to persuade
the court in NSW that is even has jurisdiction.

Assuming this guy goes through with his threat,
then your lawyer could almost immediately bring an application
to dismiss the matter for want of jurisdiction.
Thank you Tim, appreciate your response