QLD Possible Father to Unknown Child - Recourse Under Family Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Miles

25 June 2016
I was seeing a girl briefly and decided to stop seeing her to fix things up with my ex. Not long after this, she told me she was pregnant with my child.

After I told her that I didn't want to be with her but I was prepared to claim the child, she told me that it was someone else's. Now she says she's lost it. I don't know what to believe and I don't know what to do under family law.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Under family law, you can't do anything until the child is actually born.

As such, there's no real avenue to help you find out when/if the child is born.

Sorry I can't be more help yet. I suggest keeping in touch with the girl and trying to make things as amicable as possible. At the very least, you should try and work out whether the child was lost or not.

sammy01

27 September 2015
I reckon it is a ruse to get you back... Run a million miles. Stop for a drink then run some more.

Ignore all contact from her and do not sign the birth certificate if she does contact you and agree to a paternity test. If the hypothetical child is yours then man up and pay child support, but I'm willing to bet that you've dodged a bullet, not because she isn't pregnant but because she is a nutter who is willing to tell whatever lies necessary to get her own way. Hence, read my first statement again.

Reactions: Miles

Miles

25 June 2016
Thanks very much for your help, that's pretty much what I've accepted but I wanted to know if I had any legal ground to stand on because I simply can't take her word that she's not pregnant.

sammy01

27 September 2015
You stopped running?

Mate, if she is preggers, wait till the child support agency contacts you, then get back to us... But if CSA does call - hang up and put your running shoes back on.