NT Possession of Drugs - Penalty for First Offence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Melanie77

6 January 2017
If charged with possession of drugs:

Possible Schedule 1 traffic QTY pub
Supply schedule 1 less comm QTY

in Northern Terrirtory and it's a first offence, What's the penalty? And if it's 3rd offence?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
It's difficult to predict without a knowledge of all the details. The judge will determine an appropriate sentence based on all the facts and evidence of circumstances of the crime and the character and criminal histories of the suspects. Maximum penalty for both offences is 14 years imprisonment. These are not minor offences so i would expect some period of prison time even if its first offence.

Melanie77

6 January 2017
It's difficult to predict without a knowledge of all the details. The judge will determine an appropriate sentence based on all the facts and evidence of circumstances of the crime and the character and criminal histories of the suspects. Maximum penalty for both offences is 14 years imprisonment. These are not minor offences so i would expect some period of prison time even if its first offence.
Thank you. It's her second offence. Schedule 1 traficing public and schedule 1 of supply

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Depends on a variety of factors in which we can't give a definite indication. I hope your friend has legal representation.

Melanie77

6 January 2017
She does. He said she's looking at 7 years. I was just trying to clarify for her... The drug was methamphetamine. Suffice to say I'm no longer friends with her.