VIC Police interview due to theft from my employer

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tryinhard

6 November 2017
Hi, I have a gambling problem as well as depression and anxiety. I’ve stolen money from my boss and now have a Police interview on Wednesday. I’m suicidal at the thought of what I’ve done and the consequences. Do I need a lawyer at the interview?

Amelie1997

1 November 2017
Please contact beyond blue or lifeline urgently for suicide assistance, I'm sorry your so distressed. It would probably be a good idea to engage a criminal lawyer for your interview with the police.

Tryinhard

6 November 2017
Please contact beyond blue or lifeline urgently for suicide assistance, I'm sorry your so distressed. It would probably be a good idea to engage a criminal lawyer for your interview with the police.
Hi Amelie1997.

I have been on the beyond blue website all weekend. I’m trying so hard to be strong, I done wrong and was caught, everything is very frightening and overwhelming. I am going to contact someone from beyondblue today. Thank you

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Hi, I have a gambling problem as well as depression and anxiety. I’ve stolen money from my boss and now have a Police interview on Wednesday. I’m suicidal at the thought of what I’ve done and the consequences. Do I need a lawyer at the interview?
I second the suggestion of contacting some one to assist in regard to your personal circumstances.

In regard to your criminal matter - It would be wise to engage a solicitor, or at the minimum obtain initial advice from one. Many offer a free initial consultation etc. The majority of solicitors, generally speaking, won't be present with you during the interview but rather would speak with you immediately before the interview. The general course of action advised by most would be to answer 'no comment' to any question put to you by police.

Reactions: Tryinhard

Clancy

6 April 2016
What gamblers eventually discover is that the gambling becomes their number one priority in life. You will sacrifice your job to it, you will sacrifice your friends and even family too it. Luckily you have been caught, now your ability to continue down that path of destruction will be severely disrupted, its a blessing in disguise!
For your initial police interview, as well as getting a lawyer, you could also try contacting one of the many gamblers support agencies for advice on what to do?

Tryinhard

6 November 2017
I second the suggestion of contacting some one to assist in regard to your personal circumstances.

In regard to your criminal matter - It would be wise to engage a solicitor, or at the minimum obtain initial advice from one. Many offer a free initial consultation etc. The majority of solicitors, generally speaking, won't be present with you during the interview but rather would speak with you immediately before the interview. The general course of action advised by most would be to answer 'no comment' to any question put to you by police.
Hi Iamthelaw, information I have be given is exactly what you suggest ‘no comment’ until I know the charge I can’t get a solicitor to help me. I’m so nervous about tomorrow

Tryinhard

6 November 2017
What gamblers eventually discover is that the gambling becomes their number one priority in life. You will sacrifice your job to it, you will sacrifice your friends and even family too it. Luckily you have been caught, now your ability to continue down that path of destruction will be severely disrupted, its a blessing in disguise!
For your initial police interview, as well as getting a lawyer, you could also try contacting one of the many gamblers support agencies for advice on what to do?
Thank you Clancy, unfortunately I’m unable to see this as a good thing at the moment although I know it has stopped the urge to gamble. Every hour of every day I’m consumed with guilt.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Hi Iamthelaw, information I have be given is exactly what you suggest ‘no comment’ until I know the charge I can’t get a solicitor to help me. I’m so nervous about tomorrow
Have a look in the Yellow Pages or the Law Institute of Victoria referral service, a fair few provide free initial advice. There are also a few solicitors on the forums that may be willing to assist.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I agree with the above.

1. Say nothing to authorities at this stage - they are not your friend.
2. Get legal advice BEFORE court if you go to court.
3. Seek help with your personal issues. This does 3 things - gets you better, creates evidence you can use in court to mitigate a sentence, and shows genuine remorse.