WA Police - How to Find Out if There is a Warrant?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

abc456

3 April 2018
After I left WA 5 years ago for QLD, the police showed up at my old WA address with a warrant, for a very minor, push and shove matter, after the other party went and reported it.

1. Can I search to check if there is actually a warrant still on file? where, how? I do not know my WA driving licence number anymore, so a search would be hard going.

2. Would WA police seriously go ahead and waste court time/expenses on such a trivial matter and when it is one person's word against another?

3. If there is a warrant, can I address it from QLD, personally? I am on a disability pension, so cannot engage a lawyer in WA. Or would I have to go back to WA and front up?

Appreciate your time to reply, great work you all do.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
1. Not that I know of.
2. Possibly. Depends how serious they think the matter is.
3. Don't know, but in the modern age of video etc, who knows.

Some questions:
1. Were you charged at all before leaving WA?
2. If you weren't charged, do you know for sure that a warrant has been issued? It's possible that they only showed up to talk to you about the matter and someone just "assumed" that they had a warrant.

The easiest way to find out exactly what's going on would be to call the WA Police and ask. (Probably the local station would be the best place to start.)

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
You would know if you were charged - believe me.

"MyFines" - That website is not a government site so don't trust it and don't give them your details. Period.

You don't seem to be worried about the incident at all, only a possible warrant, which tells me that it is only a minor matter if anything. If that's correct, then contacting the Police directly would be the best thing to do. It's best to get this sorted out so it doesn't come back and bite you later on.

Best of luck and happy new year to you and yours. Hopefully once you get things sorted, 2019 will be a great year for you.