VIC Police check

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jamie27

9 April 2020
Hi

Got a police check back for a job I'm currently going for... turns out it shows two charges are pending for two breaches of an intervention order - one charge alleges that I broke the IVO because I called my ex selfish in a text message, the other alleges that I broke it by returning to the family home to collect a computer (ex and I had a signed agreement allowing me to be at the property to care for kids, I'd been caring for kids in the morning, went to supermarket, ex withdrew agreement for me to stay there while I was out - I didn't think going to drop off groceries and collect computer was "staying" there - and yes I know I should have had order changed before ever returning to the property but the circumstances involved serious health issues for eldest daughter )

Online policy for this employer says police check results should only be considered detrimental if they affect the candidate's ability to carry out the inherent requirements of the job, which isn't the case here... just wondering what the experiences of other people have been in this, or similar, situations.

I'll be fighting the charges, court in November (likely to be delayed due to covid)

I've already been told I'm the preferred candidate - references were good etc... it's just this one thing...

Last edited:

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Nothing you can do regarding the police check. If asked by the employer, just be honest and explain the background as you have above and hope for the best.