QLD Plates removed offender isnt owner

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gary

2 November 2014
I live in the state of queensland and in August of this year i lent my car to someone i believed had their licence,
They were puled over by an RBT and whilst they were clean of all tests they were found to be driving without a licence, It turns out that this was their third offence and the registration plates were taken with an advice they could be picked up after three months. If the car belongs to me and the driver was given consent , (they did nit state they had no current drivers licence), can the police stiill keep my plates for three months?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
They can. However, you can apply for early release. If you go to the Queensland Police website and search for 'Applications for the Early Release of a Vehicle from Impoundment or Immobilisation', it will give you the process. Your grounds will be that you did not consent to the offence. Be careful - if the Police think you knew the person wasn't licensed then they can charge you for allowing them to drive your car.

Also check the 'do not use this form when' section as well.