NT Phone Credit Theft From Work - What Will Happen?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Aussiegirl89

14 February 2015
I stole phone credit from work a couple of times and I think I got caught. I'm scared. I knew it was bad and I'll never do it again, but what will happen to me?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @Aussiegirl89
  1. Why do you think you got caught?
  2. What is the estimated total value of the phone credit that you stole?
  3. There is a number of outcomes that are reasonably likely to occur when/if your employer identifies you. The most lenient punishment is likely instant dismissal with no further action if you immediately repay the value of phone credit stolen. More severe, criminal punishments will likely apply if your employer involves the police and/or telecommunications credit provider (e.g. Telstra, Optus, etc.).

Aussiegirl89

14 February 2015
They were looking at the security footages and the boss had the police looking at the footage. Later today he called me and asked if I could come in but I couldnt. It was about $200 all up

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @Aussiegirl89
The next step is up to you and depends on your circumstances.

For example, are you prepared to quickly own up to your mistake, offer an explanation as to why you did and accept the consequences? This may include instant dismissal, having to repay the $200 in stolen phone credit and the possibility of being charged with one or more criminal charges, including stealing, which under section 210 of the Criminal Code Act (NT) may result in up to seven (7) years imprisonment.

If not, I strongly suggest that you contact a lawyer or the NT Legal Aid Commission's Legal Aid Helpline (1800 019 343) during weekdays from 8am to 4:30pm.

Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.