QLD Pet Acquired During 10-month Relationship - Legal Aid Assistance?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bailey24

29 March 2019
My problem is about a dispute over the ownership of a pet dog who was acquired within the relationship.

I've been advised that it doesn't come under family law as a de facto relationship doesn't apply.

However, the information I have been given so far has been contradictory.

I'm seeking further legal advice however I thought posting here might get some more answers.

I was with someone who had a pattern of emotional abuse behaviour and using power and control and is now withholding the pet dog who I cared for for almost 1 year and had a very strong connection with.

I am applying for legal aid to assist.

I'm wondering if anyone could offer some opinions about how to write the application for legal aid and whether anyone has received legal aid for something similar where there was Domestic Violence involved?

Thanks in advance

sammy01

27 September 2015
Don't waste your time.
Offer to buy the dog for twice whatever you might have paid for it.
Or go get a rescue greyhound... But don't waste your time with the courts. Apart from anything else, you don't meet the criteria for family court.

I know it sounds harsh, but the more you involve yourself with anything to do with this person the longer it will take you to get over the trauma they've caused you.

Atticus

6 February 2019
If you were living together in a genuine de facto relationship for at least 2 years, then you can apply for orders through the federal circuit court.. That said..

Pets are treated as property in family law... Any emotional abuse if proven, won't have a bearing on the outcome..

Legal aid won't fund this. I agree with Sammy01 that prolonging your involvement with this person is going to prolong the grief.. Which may well be what the aim is..

jaxemjay

11 June 2019
NSW
I was advised by a lawyer to try find proof the dog is yours. Who’s name is the dog registered in? Do you have paper work?