Personal Training refund entitlement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Laura777

11 September 2019
Me and my partner signed up with a personal trainer for a 12 week program. From the beginning he told us he would refund the money once he had put us in his books and under his insurance. So we signed a contract, yes on top of that contract it does say no refunds. The cost of the program we did was $2650 however we paid $1600 due to the agreement of a special deal and the refund. He then asked for an additional $500 to make it look more legit on his paperwork and business transactions. He said we could either stop the program and we could receive the refund or pay the additional money. So we stopped the program. So we haven’t received any of the $3200 owed to us and he has thrown the contract in our face saying no refunds. We do have several messages that state otherwise though. So are we entitled to the refund or not? I want to take this further to get the money back but would like to know better the legal side of this and what grounds I have.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
This is akin to a 'bait and switch' type scam. So long as you can substantiate his promises (which it appears you can), I suggest you go to your state's fair trading department to see whether they can assist. If they're unable/unwilling to do so, you can look at your state's small claims type tribunal.