Personal Motor vehicles

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SamanthaF

16 March 2019
Im a Dental Nurse and a car is not required for my role under my award in WA.
My Employer has included the following policy in my handbook/contract.... what are your thoughts ??

GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
You may be required to use a motor vehicle to enable you to efficiently perform your duties.
Where travelling in the course of duties, the motor vehicle is considered to be a workplace and the
Employer recognises it has health and safety obligations in respect of this.
You must at all times comply with the Motor Vehicles policy in this Handbook.

USING A PRIVATE VEHICLE FOR EMPLOYER PURPOSES
When using your own vehicle in the performance of your duties, you are responsible for ensuring the vehicle
is roadworthy and in a presentable condition. You will be responsible to register, insure and service any
private motor vehicles as per relevant state legislation.
You must ensure that whilst driving your motor vehicle to perform your duties, it is clean, free of rubbish and
in a safe and good working order. All personal items in your vehicle will be your responsibility and at your
own risk.
You are responsible for washing the motor vehicle, and for ensuring that appropriate levels of oil, water and
tyre pressure are maintained.

CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE
it is your responsibility to ensure that the vehicle used for work purposes is kept clean and tidy and free from rubbish and personal items at all times.

The employer Reserves the right to request to deduct the cost of valet from your pay where you fail to adequately clean the vehicle.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
None of this creates an obligation on you to buy a car.
Nor to use a vehicle of your own for work purposes.

Are you under the Health Professionals and Support Services Award 2010?

Last edited:
Reactions: SamanthaF

SamanthaF

16 March 2019
None of this creates an obligation on you to buy a car.
Nor to use a vehicle of your own for work purposes.

Are you under the Health Professionals and Support Services Award 2010?

I’m under the Dental Technicians and attendant receptionists WA Award Summary.