NSW Personal Loan contract (loaning money to a friend)

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Pete S

5 May 2018
Hello, I'm about to loan $60,000 to a friend to assist her to build a house. I do trust her implicitly. However, we both realise the importance of a legally binding contract just in case something goes awry. Is there any templates available that I can use that is airtight? Also, she is happy to have a caveat clause inserted on the dwelling title deeds as well so that if something happens to her then I can get paid back from the sale of her house. As I said, I trust her. It's just some of her family members I'm not too keen on. If I can get a template then get it witnessed by a notary then this would eliminate the cost of getting a legal contract drawn up professionally (I was quoted $1,250). Any thoughts please? Thanks in advance.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The price looks very reasonable and is well worth the investment considering how much money is at risk. I don't have a template.

Consider what happens if the lady friend gets a new partner who exerts pressure to renege on the agreement? You need a good agreement covering all circumstances where you get burnt.

Else consider the $60K a gift and be done with it.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Also, it's generally the case that the borrower pays the cost of the drawing of the documents in such a situation.