VIC Pay dispute and debt collectors

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Reza1991

8 May 2021
Hi forum!

I’m new here. But I would really appreciate your expertise and legal advice regarding the following situation.

I was an independent contractor that was let go from the old job. Because I didn’t want to receive a pay cut. Once I left I didn’t receive my last months pay because they were going to adjust it for work I was paid for but the remainder work the business would complete. And would deduct the amount they believed would be suitable and the remainder would be my final pay.
They sent me the calculation - and believe i owe $8000. However we did our calculations and the business owes me $200. After adjustments. So we have a disagreement with the numbers. But they don’t care, now they are sending debt collectors to get the 8000. And even official lawyer letter of demands.
however, we don’t have a written contract. But contract is implied. Was working there for a year.
do I get lawyers or ignore it until I get summoned to court??
What would you do?
TIA
Rez

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Recommend some advice first. It may be you were really an employee rather than a contractor.

Better to avoid court if possible.