TAS Partner's Ex Not Allowed to See Me - Recourse?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
7 January 2017
Hi,

I was just wondering if I could get some help on what to do. The mother of my partner's child has said he isn't allowed to have his daughter around me. Is there anything we can do about this?

We are engaged and about to get married in just over a year. We have been through mediation and that have told us to get legal advice.

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
Ignore her. Unless you are a danger to the child and the Court acknowledges this, then she has no say in who he associates with when the child is with him.

Is she stopping the child from seeing her father because of this?

sammy01

27 September 2015
While ignore her is a nice idea- if she won't drop off the kid - ignoring her ain't solving the problem. Does partner have court orders? parenting plan? What have been the arrangements around the child prior to now.

A court isn't gonna be interested in her BS... So my opinion - get legal advice. Now I'm assuming you don't have a lazy $20 000 laying around? Here are some sites to help you self-represent. BTW, it ain't as daunting as you think and I'm willing to bet that the ex will come around once she is served with court attendance notice... And your partner will have the added bonus of being able to serve the papers on her and watch her face when she realises.... That alone should make the couple of hundred dollar application fee worthwhile.

Going to Court - tips for your court hearing - Family Court of Australia
Home - Family Court of Australia

Now here is some great news - only about 3% of cases get decided by a judge. In most cases, the parents come to an agreement. In my experience the threat of court is often enough to encourage a difficult parent to pull their head in.