QLD Partner's Ex Committing Fraud - Will Partner be Liable?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Snapchat07

3 February 2017
Hi,

Tricky question:

My partner separated from his ex 16 months ago. They are about to get a divorce. I just set up MyGov login for him for his child support and a whole 9 years worth of letters came through dating back to 2008. It would appear she has been on a pension this whole time.

She is currently living in his house in his name and not making the repayments on time so he is getting a bad credit rating. It's less than $300 a week, way less than rent in the area. She has 6 kids now to 3 different dad's and he pays her nearly $20,000 in child support.

I'm so tempted to call Centrelink for fraud. My partner worked in the mines and made huge money and she spent it all and now we find out she was claiming a pension as well, even though she had another child with him that is only 7 years old!

Can we use this date as separation date then he reclaim his house which has no equity in it due to her being so far behind? He just wants to sell it so his credit rating isn't going down the drain.

Could it come back to hurt him and will they make him pay the money back even though he wasn't aware?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

It's going to seem spiteful if you do anything. If it were me, I would leave it to my partner to deal with and have him speak with a family lawyer.

Snapchat07

3 February 2017
Thank you Lance.

I have not done anything myself and leaving it up to my partner. She has also moved her new boyfriend in and is again committing fraud as is on single parent pension for six children.

Lance

31 October 2015
Thank you Lance.

I have not done anything myself and leaving it up to my partner. She has also moved her new boyfriend in and is again committing fraud as is on single parent pension for six children.
Hi,

You can most definitely anonymously report her for fraud and as a law abiding tax paying citizen I would encourage you to do so, however if there is a chance she would think it was reported by you or your partner and there is a strong chance she would, then I wouldn't do it. It could make it very difficult for your partner. But its your call.

I guess the question you should ask yourself is: would I report my neighbour? If the answer is no and you would report you partners ex, then you might be letting emotion make your decisions. Its your call. Do what you think is right but be mindful that your partners ex could make it hard for your partner.