VIC Partner refuses to leave

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Trixie Turner

29 April 2017
My de facto partner of 26 years refuses to leave after I have asked him for a separation. We have not had a real relationship for years. I am offering him financial settlement but he just refuses to acknowledge the whole idea. How can I legally get him to leave?

sammy01

27 September 2015
You can't - clearly you have a bit of a misunderstanding of family law. Sorry to be blunt - But just because you no longer want to be in a relationship with him does not automatically give you the right to expect him to pack up his stuff and leave and for you to stay.

If you don't want to be near him, what is to stop you from leaving? So lets assume you own the home, in your name according to the title. It is still also his home according to family law. So you might want to provide more info so the good folks can give you some advice.

But you don't have the right to say - I don't want to be with you anymore, so you have to leave...

Reactions: 457Visafraud

457Visafraud

16 April 2017
My de facto partner of 26 years refuses to leave after I have asked him for a separation.
How did you ask the separation?
I am offering him financial settlement but he just refuses to acknowledge the whole idea.
It sounds good and if I was him, I would probably accept.
But you should give more information regarding the background like where you guys live, it's rent or property?
How did you guys manage all these years together, who spent the money?
By the way, a de-facto relationship equals to marriage so I guess you guys received some allowances from Centrelink?