VIC Parking infringement at a uni

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

waffle14

21 October 2018
Hi all, my bf has a parking fine at university melbourne last week. It was a hefty sum for parking in loading zone??
I am curious as im wondering if Melbourne uni have the right to enforce infringements ?? And what happens if you dont pay.
I believe on the receipt it does say Infringement act 2006 etc. So is it legit and they can contact vic roads for your personal detail and take legal action?
I am aware some private car park company dont have the right to enforce infringement ... so im wondering if this is the case for uni melb.
Please advise... thanks.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Who is demanding payment?

I suspect he needs to pay. Melbourne Uni has a reasonable law school and access to experienced lawyers, I don't see them getting this wrong. He could ask some law students what they think.

waffle14

21 October 2018
Who is demanding payment?

I suspect he needs to pay. Melbourne Uni has a reasonable law school and access to experienced lawyers, I don't see them getting this wrong. He could ask some law students what they think.

The uni applied the infringement notice, and says he has to pay by due date. I'm just wondering if they have the right to enforce this?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Most probably.

Private operators can demand a cost plus reasonable expenses, they can't just 'fine' people an exorbitant amount.

I'd be telling him to pay and learn his lesson not to park where he shouldn't. The uni is a large organisation and needs loading zones for all sorts of reasons, but student parking is not one these reasons.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Most probably.

Private operators can demand a cost plus reasonable expenses, they can't just 'fine' people an exorbitant amount.

I'd be telling him to pay and learn his lesson not to park where he shouldn't. The uni is a large organisation and needs loading zones for all sorts of reasons, but student parking is not one these reasons.