NSW Parking Illegally on Private Car Park - What can be Done?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Simone B

7 December 2017
Can anything be done for repeat offenders that park illegally and dangerously in a car park that is on shared land between a church and a school? By parking illegally I mean not in marked parks.

DMQC

29 June 2016
Which State are you referring to? Traffic laws differ from state to state.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If it is private land and the driver is using the church or school, then it is not illegal per se. Inconvenient yes, illegal unlikely, dangerous not sure.

I'd be putting a letter under the wiper saying their permission to use the car park will be withdrawn if they can continue parking the way the do. Then take a photo of letter under the wiper.

If poor parking continues, another letter, another photo, and withdraw permission with a warning along the lines of that the driver may be charged with civil and or criminal trespass if they park on the property again. You can also write to the NSW equivalent of VicRoads and ask for registration details. You may have to justify why you want the details, then send a copy of the letter by registered post to the address on car registration. Not sure if the NSW dept allows this so worth a call first.

Reactions: Simone B

DMQC

29 June 2016
I would just put big stone blocks along the land which I am concerned with, i.e. the school or the church. It may be worth calling 131 444 and just reporting it, you won't be in any trouble for reporting it and perhaps, even if it is not an offence, a Police Officer asking the parents not to do it might be enough to stop it.