WA Parking fine, private firm TMS

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

kml

26 July 2017
Has anyone had any recent experience with Traffic Monitoring Services. I have been issued with a final demand and was holding off since I had read that private parking firms could not issue fines. There is plenty of people on various sites that can attest that there was no follow through by this firm, but these posts that I have read are years ago and things have probably changed since then. Also, I thought it wasn't legal for private firms to access the registered owner details, however they have managed to do this. I really don't want to go to court and will pay the darn thing (excessive as it is) if they have the authority to do this. I did phone consumer protection and they advised that they do have this authority, this person, however ,sounded very bored and uninterested. Can anyone shed any further light? This was issued in Perth WA.

Last edited:

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You may find an archive search helpful

kml

26 July 2017
Thanks Tim. I have looked through archived items and can see NSW and Vic posts. Do the same laws apply here in WA? If it is legal for TMS to obtain my personal information, is it then legal for them to pursue this through a court of law? By the way, it does say 'Car park Breach'. If the same laws apply here then it would appear that TMS have no authority to lodge a claim with the courts and subsequent non payment would not result in a bad credit rating?