TAS Parents Wills and Nursing Home Admission

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Stevie12

9 March 2015
My sisters and I have recently found out that our Father was put into a Nursing Home in Tasmania approx two years ago.....there is a reason why we have not had face to face contact with him which I don't wish to put in full view of everyone. We also just found out that our Mother/Stepmother passed away last December via the internet when googling one of the sister's names. We (the sisters) biological children of the father have not been notified.

There is a Male who apparently is a Brother who is apparently executor of a Will......since finding out about Mother/Stepmother, two of us have phoned the nursing home with not much luck on info as to our Father's health, etc. What we would like to know is are we entitled to a copy of his Will and his ACAT assessement that would have been used to admit him into the Nursing Home?

We understand there are laws etc but our concerns are WHO is the Male saying he is a brother and our father's well being.

KLP

6 March 2015
sydney, australia
Your story is similar to mine, I was not notified of my grandmothers death. It is not illegal not to notify relatives of the dead. If your father had an estate (assets ) and has proceeded to probate court I am guessing after two years it would be finalised. To view your fathers last Will and testament request it from "the brother " or employee a solicitor, your only two options.

Stevie12

9 March 2015
KLP our Father is still living but very ill with not sure on how much longer to go......we the sisters and I are very unsure if this Male is a brother its very disturbing to say the least....

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
Please clarify about the Mother/stepmother as it makes a difference. I assume she was mother to one of you and step to the other?
You have no right to see a will until it comes into effect, that will happen when your father dies.
When he dies, as his children you have the right to a copy of the will if there is one.

How do you know the is other person is the executor of the will?
Mother/Stepmother

Stevie12

9 March 2015
Hi Winston Wolf.....Yes one of us is the daughter of the deceased and two are step daughters.....the daughter of the Mother who passed has a copy of her Will, all three girls have seen the Will, and not sure if the other 2 sister's and another brother has even been notified..... it's not her's we are concerned about hmmmmm......and Yes the male who has been named as the executor of Will is apparently our Brother and half brother apparently he was conceived while my parents were expecting one of the girls. Our concern is to do with the Father, not sure as to why after what he put us thru but never the less he is our father.

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
Thanks
I have covered the will question. Hopefully other s can assist with the ACAT assessment

Stevie12

9 March 2015
All good thanks Winston for you input am still none the wiser but I think I have an answer to what we need to do....