QLD Ownership dispute for much loved dog

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bailey24

29 March 2019
I recently separated from my partner who purchased a puppy when moved into his home, as a couple.

He worked away and I was responsible for all care needed to raise the puppy. I committed a lot of time and effort into ensuring he grew up happy and healthy over the next 11 months. (The puppy is now 1)

After the separation I tried to make an arrangement to see the dog however my ex was getting a lot of advice from his family and friends that it wasn't a good idea to share custody of a dog.

I offered to give my ex the amount of money he originally paid for the dog but he decided to rehome him to a completely new home and has told me that he has done so.

The reason he didn't sell him to me was because he doesn't feel I can support a dog financially. I was working at the time we began dating but had to leave because of the distance from my new home and my ex said he would help me find a new job.

As I'm not currently working I am wondering how that would affect my chances of getting ownership of the dog in a court hearing

I do have family support and very low rent and expenses and receive Austudy

I love the dog so much that I know I would guve him everything he needs and certainly not neglect his need for vet care

Thank you for reading my story. I posted it here in case anyone that knows about the law or has been through a similar situation might be able to post some insight.