VIC External Electricity Meter Box - Owners Corporation Responsibility?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Maso

1 May 2017
We own a property in a block of 14 town houses with a owners corporation. There is an external meter box per property which houses the smart meters then there is an internal switchboard which has the fuses and the switches.

A tenant recently moved out and when I went to reconnect the power the Power company deemed the external meter box unsafe, due to the box being very old I ended up needing to replace it.

My question is, as the meter box is on the buildings external wall are the owners corporation responsible for it?

Thanks in advance for any responses

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
The external meter box; does it only serve your individual townhouse? ie, each townhouse has it's own external meter box and own internal switchboard?

Maso

1 May 2017
The external meter box; does it only serve your individual townhouse? ie, each townhouse has it's own external meter box and own internal switchboard?

Correct, each townhouse has their own external meter box and their own internal switch board

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I'm not 100% sure, but my understanding, which could be wrong, is that whoever is responsible for outside blg maintenance (eg windows, gutters, painting) would also be responsible for the meter box.

And this responsibility varies across owners corporations depending on individual circumstances.

Maso

1 May 2017
I'm not 100% sure, but my understanding, which could be wrong, is that whoever is responsible for outside blg maintenance (eg windows, gutters, painting) would also be responsible for the meter box.

And this responsibility varies across owners corporations depending on individual circumstances.

Thanks Rod. That was my initially thinking as well considering it was external. Will follow up with the Owners Corporation agent again to further investigate, they have swept my initial query under the carpet

Maso

1 May 2017
Just an extension on this question. The meter box was marked defective by the electricity company the root cause being the timber board which the smart meters were secured to had deteriorated around the latches at the top which secure the board to the meter box.

I queried the Owners Corporation initially from a Owners Corp Insurance angle to make a claim. The manager is now coming back saying as it wasn't damaged it was wear and tear/deterioration they can't go any further and is at the owners cost.

The manager is very vague and unsure around the rules in this situation which is why I want to get a second opinion

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Regardless of cause the Power Company required a new board. The alternative is they disconnect the power to the property because to keep it on would be negligent.

Deterioration is in your favour, no different to weathering of gutters.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Refer to s 47 of the Owners Corporation Act which provides that an Owners Corporation must repair and maintain a service in or relating to a lot that is for the benefit or more than one lot and the common property. Electricity meets the definition of service.

Moreover s 46 sets outs out that the Owners Corporation must repair and maintain the common property and the chattels, fixtures, fittings and services related to the common property or its enjoyment - Electricity supply box may meet this definition, depending on your plan of subdivision.

Again, much would depend on the plan of subdivision and further whether the meter box serves any other lot owner a purpose - It may be possible that wiring in some case may be interconnected to other meter boxes or lots in some fashion.

I would guess that the manager of the Owners Corporation is applying the benefit principle contained in s 49 whereby repair, maintenance or other work undertaken wholly or substantially for the benefit of one or some lot owners should be apportioned to the lot or lots that benefit more, pay more.

There is certainly room to argue this one either way - Again, I don't know enough about your specific scenario to provide a definitive answer - Perhaps refer to the plan of subdivision and write to the manager requesting payment.