NSW overseas travel

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sammy01

27 September 2015
We have consent orders. I have 82% care of kids. The kids visit other parent during school holidays. In 3 yrs I'd like to move to Bali for 12 months. Kids will do a mix of home schooling and attending an international school.
I'm prepared to pay for the ex to fly over at my expense to visit so their time won't be significantly affected. They won't agree. They don’t pay child support (not sure if that is relevant).
Kids will be 15 and 16. I have not mentioned it to them, but we have had holidays in Bali and I don't doubt they'd be keen.
Questions - Can i apply to court for court orders to move?
Anyone want to give an opinion on my chances of succeeding?
Any thoughts on self repping on this one? I can afford to move to Bali or I can afford to pay a solicitor. I can't afford both...

Atticus

6 February 2019
Can i apply to court for court orders to move?
Yes If you tick all the pre filing requirements, ie, you have attempted mediation & got nowhere.
Anyone want to give an opinion on my chances of succeeding?
I would present it as an extended holiday ... With the kids willing to go, & you having firmly established roots in Australia, ie, real estate, employment to return to, family etc, you are looking about as likely to succeed as possible. Only other thing you could offer the court is a bond.

There may be a hiccup around you offering to fly your ex to Bali. She has a right to refuse that & it shouldn't be counted against her ... If she refuses you may have to offer the kids fly back home instead.
Any thoughts on self repping on this one?
Do your research, have a pro check over your applications & paperwork