WA Overseas IVF Charges (south africa)

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tades

6 November 2017
Hi Everyone

Last year my partner and I were going through South Africa for IVF via a Donor egg programme.

Basically we paid for beginning of the cycle (deposit)

However due to circumstances we had to pull out.

I sent and email saying we need to cancel so they could stop and not go ahead with the planned egg retrieval.

I sent an email of interest a few days before the due date for egg retrieval asking if it was too late and what was required etc?

I got a response saying it is still possible but however we will need confirmation and payment for this etc.

I did not reply as we could not go through with it.

so recently (months after) i get an email with an invoice stating we owe money for the egg retrieval and storage which was done out of "GOOD FAITH" by the doctor at his own expense.

I did not confirm I wanted to go ahead. Im annoyed that he allegedly went ahead with the procedure and now trying to charge me for something I did not confirm to go ahead with.

Do they have legal ground? I mean Good faith should mean at their own peril not mine...Also being in South Africa and me being in Australia do I have anything to worry about.???

Please any help
?

Cheers