ACT Overpriced Charge for Car Repair - Consumer Protection?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jack.K

22 November 2016
Hello,

I wish to hear your opinion about consumer protection for the overpriced charge which I was asked to pay.

I made a scratch of a car which I borrowed from a garage while my car is under the repair. I reported immediately with my apologies and offer for the repair of the scratch. Later, the garage gave me the extensive list of the estimate to pay from their same company body works for this minor scratch with the price of over $3000. It was a shock and I borrowed the car again to ask for the other body work place’s estimate which was $770.

I learnt that there are two different quotes for the body repair--one is for insurance company (for which the body works company required to describe details of the items) and the other is for individual person pay out of his pocket (for which, there would be no itemized quote.)

So, I asked about their original quote of over $3000 is for insurance company or not but the garage said that there is no difference between their estimate repair cost for insurance or private. When I submit the quote of $770 from the other body works, the garage was not happy as it was not itemized.

I don’t think that any body works company gives the extensive details of the repair for the private person. Nevertheless, I am going to obtain further quotes from a couple of other body works companies to get an idea for average fair price of this scratch repair.

If the garage did not accept the other body works’ estimate due to “no itemized report”, is there any legal protection to negotiate with the garage based on average price of scratch repair?

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Victoria S

9 April 2014
is there any legal protection to negotiate with the garage based on average price of scratch repair?

Yes, if the car company were to sue you for the damage to their vehicle, the court would only order you to pay what is a reasonable price to fix the repairs. What is reasonable would be determined by reference to independent quotes for the work. Therefore you do have grounds to negotiate a lower price based on quotes. Usually 2 independent quotes are required.

Reactions: Jack.K

Jack.K

22 November 2016
Dear Victoria,

Thank you indeed for your response.

I have visited 3 body works companies including the ones who provides cutesy vehicles. They advised me that the car should be comprehensively insured with an excess for at fault accident. The excess is typically max $1000.

The estimates of repair were much more expensive than I expected--they were between $1600 and over $2000.

So, I replied to the garage that I am happy to pay an excess for the damage that I have caused.

Hope it would work out!