NT Overdue payment fine due to internet banking delays

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
23 May 2018
Good Evening,
I have incurred an overdue arrears notice for failure to pay a body corporate fee on a property I own in the Northern Territory. The body corporate payment was paid online twos day prior to the due date however, was not recieved by the due date due to delays caused by internet/electronic banking process which is obviously beyond my control. I am wondering if I can be held liable for this late payment and what if any action I can take regarding the fine.

Regards

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Start by sending them your receipt with a date stamp and see what they say. If the two days are weekends/ and or public holidays then the fault is likely yours.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
With most forms of payment method, the fault is with the payer (i.e. you) if it is late. If something must be paid by the due date, it generally means that cleared funds must be received by that, or (in a lot of cases) a cheque has been received.

The problem with most electronic funds transfers, and especially methods like BPAY payment, is that until you receive them in your account you have little idea and less control over when they get deposited.

Clancy

6 April 2016
If you did pay by Bpay you will be safe.
I had this drama with IINET cutting off my internet even though the payment was made.
It is in the terms and conditions for anyone accepting Bpay payments that the payment is considered as paid on the same day you pay it so long as you paid prior to closure of normal banking hours.
I told IINET not to cut off my internet or i will report them as in breech of their Bpay terms and conditions, and they quickly agreed!, never happened since.