Overcrowded rental property

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Beagle81

23 February 2018
An apmt in my building has eight people in a 2 brm apmt. There are six adults and two children, an extended family unit. I complained to the council but they can't act when it is a family group or a group of friends i.e. people who know each other prior to taking up the tenancy. What grounds are there to evict this family?

Clancy

6 April 2016
Get used to it buddy, because with house prices and rents going the way they are, this type of thing is only going to get worse. .... Lets face it, the minimum wage has no clue what happened to accommodation, left it in its dust!.... This is how slums end up being created..... Welcome to modern Australia, the lucky country!

Beagle81

23 February 2018
I know. The law has not caught up with this practice but it needs to as there is not much anyone can do about it currently. People from overseas are increasingly doing this either with large family groups or a bunch of friends. I doubt the landlord would know that 8 people are living there or that more than one couple are on the lease.