VIC Overcharged Legal Fees

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Fonzie

19 June 2018
Hi all,

Looking for some advice in connection with a Divorce settlement where I incurred $175k in legal fees.

I want to know under what law I can claim that I have poorly represented and overcharged for their services.

Regards
Colin

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Victoria has it's own rules however you do not need to quote them to the Legal Service Commissioner. It is not a court and they do not expect complainants to quote the law to them.

Tell them your complaint and provide evidence that supports your complaint.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Victoria has it's own rules however you do not need to quote them to the Legal Service Commissioner. It is not a court and they do not expect complainants to quote the law to them.

Tell them your complaint and provide evidence that supports your complaint.

why would he quote rules to the commissioner? Clearly he want to quote rules to the lawyer in the hopes of resolving the matter. ... you are supposed to at least 'attempt' to resolve the matter before going to the commissioner.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Because he seems past that stage. He wants to make a claim. You don't 'make a claim' against the solicitor to the solicitor, you negotiate a discount. You make a claim to a third party, in this case the legal services commissioner.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Because he seems past that stage. He wants to make a claim. You don't 'make a claim' against the solicitor to the solicitor, you negotiate a discount. You make a claim to a third party, in this case the legal services commissioner.

He has not said anything about negotiating the bill. For all we know, he received the bill and immediately posted on this site? Not enough information to assume either way