NSW Options for getting back money given to friend in 'good faith'

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

WalterClaude

20 May 2020
I paid ~$9K to a friend in the travel business who'd offered us a special deal to book our family's flights back home over Xmas. Long story short, having promised us repeatedly that everything was confirmed, he let us down badly at the last minute saying that he'd misread the deal which couldn't be used across the holiday period, and I ended up booking alternative flights 24 hours before travelling.
Our 'friend' said he'd arrange a refund straight away to my bank account. This didn't materialize. Numerous other promises, guarantees and SMS's that money will be in our account by this date, excuses, screenshots of attempts to pay etc. To date we've received only $500 back from him.
Feeling rather foolish that we ever parted with the money, and have serious doubts that we'll see any more money. What would be our legal options - would we have a leg to stand on with only a series of SMS and email exchanges rather than any officially issued receipt?

WalterClaude

20 May 2020
After several months of constant badgering, we finally got back our money. The situation got worse as it turned out that others were owed too, and we ended up filing a report to the police since some of his actions appeared fraudulent.
Needless to say, we're no longer friends.