NSW Online Auction Fraud - Quicksales

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

James Na

9 April 2015
Sorry for my bad english.
I purchased mobile phone on the website called Quicksales and transferred the money direct to the sellers bank account. The seller confirmed the transaction and promised me to send the item and the copy of delivery receipt. Yet the item never received nor seller is not responding at all. Since seller isn't responding at all nor refunding, I contacted the auction website for dispute and also contacted bank institution for fraud report. However, they could not do anything for me, so I filed a fraud report and submitted at local police station.

Afterwards, i finally got in touch with the seller and asked for refund. Since there was a bit of buff from police officer, he promised me to refund the whole amount in 48hours. But No. no refund at all. So I contacted the police officer again but what she said is that I have to bring this case up to civil court to solve this problem. But the problem is he's in Victoria and im in NSW, and do not know exact cost for setting up a civil court nor how to do it. Can anyone plz help me out?

Kindest regards

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
There is potentially both a criminal and civil element to this kind of offence.

The issue for police is proving intent to commit fraud.

Re: Civil matter. First prepare and send via registered post a letter of demand to the seller. Google for 'letter of demand templates' If you get no refund after the reasonable time limit stated in your demand, then it's time for court. Read this link to get a better understanding of what you need to do.

Ponala

10 February 2015
Their is a jurisdictional issue criminally as you are in Victoria and the offender and offence is in NSW, so VicPol will not investigate as such. They may either refer you to NSWPol or take some info from you and forward it off to NSWPol on your behalf.

7 May 2015
What was this sellers name? Do you have any other details of his, even a username? I was recently just ripped off in the same way, I'm in NSW too, maybe its the same guy?