WA Old arrest charge does it show on my criminal record?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Stuckkey

7 July 2018
I was arrested over 25 years ago for shoplifting but the case was dismissed. Now I am applying for a gaming license and it asks "have you ever been arrested?" The state Police department will be doing a background check on me. Is this arrest going to show up on my record, or is it now sealed given how much time has passed?
Thank you

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
The price of peace of mind is about fifty dollars.
Do one of those online record checks on yourself.

DMLegal

28 May 2018
I would stay on the side of caution and just disclose the incident. If it is discovered you have not disclosed the arrest when you should have, it will say a lot more about your character than if you just disclose the offence. Plus I am unsure if you have stated the question verbatim, if you have 'arrest' is different to 'convicted' and the fact you were acquitted is irrelevant to the issue of being arrested.

Reactions: Tim W

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
I agree with @DMLegal above.

I would add that in the pseudo-profession of HR ,
there seems to be a growing trend to use terms like
"arrested for" rather than the more relevant "convicted of".

Reactions: DMLegal

DMLegal

28 May 2018
Lol...psuedo-profession, I like that. Very true.

I just checked the Application forms on the RGL (WA) site, can you confirm if this is the question you're referring to -

"Have you ever been convicted of any offence (this means ALL offences including traffic, drug related and stealing
offences but not traffic or parking offences dealt with by way of an infringement notice) either in Western Australia
or elsewhere"
?

I wouldn't disclose an arrest when answering this question if I were completing the form.

Stuckkey

7 July 2018
I have disclosed the arrest in my application I will post when I find out if I have been approved / denied. I have never broken the law (except for traffic infringements) and have decided that if I am not approved for telling the truth then I will just find a new profession.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Disclosure tends to show good character.
And if the charge was dismissed then there is no conviction to concern yourself with.
Best of luck with your application.