VIC Off the plan apartment purchase - Misleading and deceptive conduct

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Smiley

1 April 2015
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any insights on what action I can take?

I am assisting a relative who lives overseas. He purchased a brand new off the plan apartment in Southbank through Central Equity Limited a few years ago pre covid-19. At the time he had a full time job and savings.

He went into a sales office overseas for the Melbourne based company and discussed possible apartments.

He returned the next day and was presented with a contract for the first time. The contract is in English and he does not understand English very well.

The sales agent went through the contract and informed him where to sign etc in which he did.

The sales representative asked my relative how he was going to pay for the apartment and he said he was unsure. He would need to speak to his bank to see if they could assist.

The sales agent said ok this can be sorted out later. My relative signed the contract where he was advised to sign and paid a deposit.

My relative received updates from the builder regarding construction progress etc but was not required to pay any progress payments. The only payment required was the initial 10% deposit and a few minor payments.

Fast forward a few years and the building is now complete. The builder sent my relative an invoice for the balance of the contract as settlement is approaching.

We are now in post COVID-19, my relatives financial circumstances have changed dramatically. He lost his job, can no longer obtain finance and is burning through savings due to this.

He contacted the builder who simply informed him that he must honour the contract as it was 'unconditional'.

My relative informs me he was never informed by the initial sales agents of what 'unconditional' and 'subject to finance' means etc. Only that he informed sales agents prior to signing the contract that he would need to check with his bank to obtain finance.

Thanks in advance,

Nighthelyn

24 September 2014
Sydney
Dear Smiley,

Unfortunately your relative is in a very sticky situation and will need legal advice.

1. Allegation of misleading and deceptive conducts - what was your relative‘s evidence - it sounds like everything is verbal - you say they mislead your relative and they say no everything is above board and relative choose not to find someone to explain the contract to him etc - is there any email/WhatsApp/WeChat records? It may be your relative can’t prove the conduct if there is no record against the seller having a signed contract ID and history of payment of deposits. Also, if the alleged misconducts occurred overseas then it may be even harder to prove.

2. Validity of an off-plan contract - if it is signed, and there is evidence of performance (e.g. your relative paying deposit), no communication and objection to all the progress emails from the developer until settlement - the document is potentially enforceable.

3. “Central Equity Limited” is it the seller/builder or a middle person?

Your relative needs a solicitor to assess:

1. Contract review - is there any problem with the signed contract that afford your relative any right? Is there any exit clause e.g. if the building is varied sufficiently to warrant?
2. Case review - evidence of problem - but to be clear, so far what you described are all what you say - not sufficient.
3. Exit strategies:
a. If there is any defect in the contract or evidence of misconducts, there may be legal options to resolve the issue. Vendor of course is unlikely to just take it lying down unless there is significant defect.
b. If there is not much in form of defect, negotiate with vendor terms to terminate the contract with a fixed payment (relative may lose deposit, but with terms of settlement to not sue by vendor further). More likely if the property can be sold at higher price in the market.
c. Non-legal options maybe (not exhaustive):
i. Find someone else to step in to complete the purchase/on-sale;
II. Repudiate/Asset protection - find a way so your relative and any guarantor in the sales contract if any do not hold much asset in their name. Can still be sued by the vendor but no or harder to track down asset to pursue; or
iii. Complain to fair trading of victoria - but so far from your description, not enough for it to amount to anything.

Good luck!
-Nighthelyn

anan21

20 April 2022
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any insights on what action I can take?

I am assisting a relative who lives overseas. He purchased a brand new off the plan apartment in Southbank through Central Equity Limited a few years ago pre covid-19. At the time he had a full time job and savings.

He went into a sales office overseas for the Melbourne based company and discussed possible apartments.

He returned the next day and was presented with a contract for the first time. The contract is in English and he does not understand English very well.

The sales agent went through the contract and informed him where to sign etc in which he did.

The sales representative asked my relative how he was going to pay for the apartment and he said he was unsure. He would need to speak to his bank to see if they could assist.

The sales agent said ok this can be sorted out later. My relative signed the contract where he was advised to sign and paid a deposit.

My relative received updates from the builder regarding construction progress etc but was not required to pay any progress payments. The only payment required was the initial 10% deposit and a few minor payments.

Fast forward a few years and the building is now complete. The builder sent my relative an invoice for the balance of the contract as settlement is approaching.

We are now in post COVID-19, my relatives financial circumstances have changed dramatically. He lost his job, can no longer obtain finance and is burning through savings due to this.

He contacted the builder who simply informed him that he must honour the contract as it was 'unconditional'.

My relative informs me he was never informed by the initial sales agents of what 'unconditional' and 'subject to finance' means etc. Only that he informed sales agents prior to signing the contract that he would need to check with his bank to obtain finance.

Thanks in advance,
I have found your thoughts very helpful. Thanks!

Smiley

1 April 2015
@Nighthelyn

Apologies for my belated response.

I appreciate your detailed response.

Central Equity Limited appears on the name of the business card of the sales agent my relative spoke to. Having reviewed extracts of the contract, I now see the companies name under Vendor.

At this stage, I have emailed and provided a letter of authority and a request for information requesting a soft copy of the s32 and other relevant documents signed by my relative. I emailed three times and telephoned twice leaving messages both times to no response in each instance.

My aim is to review the contract thoroughly, take into consideration your comments and then formally lodge a complaint and escalate from there.

Thanks again