WA Nursing Home and Guardian Advocate Negligence of Father with Alzheimers

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Seeking help

29 October 2015
My dad has Alzheimers and has been put in a number of different nursing homes with a guardian advocate in control. My dad has been in and out of the emergency room in hospitals for life threatening incidents where no one ever knows what happened. Dad is always being chemically sedated on too many occasions on all the strong opioid narcotic drugs where the nurses and carers' first approach is to dose him up to keep him out their way. With all the evidence I have given to the government guardian advocate, they will still not listen to me. They continue to turn a blind eye and let it continue.

Now the nursing home has stopped me from having phone calls with my dad, saying they do not have the time to assist my dad with the phone. So I got dad a mobile phone with ear phones where they just have to put ear phones in my dad's ears and that's it. Dad nor staff need to hold or assist with anything, yet they seem to keep bringing up the point that the mobile phone can have incoming calls and they will be unaware of it, yet I do not see how this is an issue, only that they are trying to cover up the amount they are inducing dad with drugs where he is always knocked out.

Now they have complained about having the mobile in operation to the government Guardian advocate and now the Guardian has told me I am not allowed to call dad and if I try to call, he has instructed the nursing home not to hand dad the phone even if they have time or a simple set up of putting ear phones in for dad and limited the times and hours I can see dad to barely a decent visit. The Guardian is also saying the reason is because dad can not hold a conversation anymore!

I need help to stop this as I have recorded calls from me and dad previously for the future when I'd like to listen to them and for proof of how the nursing home staff speak with such disregard to me and are always hanging up on me. Recent calls were just last week, where dad and I are having a great talk. Dad was laughing, asking me questions, answering things I ask, and replying to things I say.

I have it all recorded yet no one will listen to me and I am being cut out of dad's life bit by bit. They controlling my dad in a unprotected, unprofessional manner. This has only gotten worse, so I'd appreciate any help as to how I can get my voice heard about their negligence and have an input in my dad's safety and well-being.

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
If you were available, why was a guardian advocate appointed rather than yourself?

In regards to the action of Negligence, you would have to prove that the guardian advocate had a duty of care, that he breached that duty of care and the breach caused damage.

I honestly think that in this case the first course of action would be to make a complaint in regards to the treatment received by the nursing home (if you feel they are at fault) and if your dad is still competent (as a guardian advocate is for people who are still deemed competent) maybe you could be appointed his guardian instead?

Seeking help

29 October 2015
Thank you for reply. I left my job and went on carers payment for over a year while I moved out of my place and in with dad, looking after him and everything. There was an nstancce where my two sisters and brother were threatened that I was, as they say, ' in control ' of everything of dad's, and wanted for me not to be.

My eldest sister had it taken to state tribunal to get control where I was ganged up on, and due to the tension of such a strong disagreement with each other, it backfired on my siblings and were denied guardianship or any position of decision involvement, and the tribunal put a trustee and guardian in charge as well as also having dad being put as an incognitive at 57 years.

Things have only gotten worse now. 2 plus years on, and the amount of emails of complaints, concerns with improper bruising clearly by neglect nutritionally, socially and emotionally, verbal and physical abuse, being rough housed, and given a large mix of very dangerous medication, an unmonitored life threatening state, always chemically inducing and sedating him as their first approach to his agitation and restlessness.

With all the emails, photos, letters, failed applications that never happen, the guardian does nothing, and excludes me when I ask about everything and know nothing. My siblings washed their hands of my dad after they had him put in the nursing home. I have complained to guardian and staff, expressed my concerns to both spectrum and still nothing.

Now they have stopped my calls refusing to give the phone to dad and limited my visit times to near impossible times and they know this. I've sought out consumer affairs and other government bodies, but it's like I'm invisible.

I feel restricted, bullied and forced further and further out of my dad's life and my hands are legally tied. I just can't accept that and I wont !

Not enough people are aware or don't want to know the type of people in these industries we have put or been forced to put our loved ones into under their care.