NSW Notice period - What are my rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JB22

26 August 2017
Hello,

I resigned from my job yesterday, both verbally & in writing.

My employment contract requires me to provide 4 weeks notice but when I informed my boss in person of my resignation, he asked me to stay on for 5 weeks instead of 4. I agreed & sent him an email to confirm that my final day would be in 5 weeks time.

Since then I have become dissatisfied, as I feel as though I was railroaded into agreeing to stay on longer than I want to.

My question is this - Am I within my rights to inform my boss (3 days after the original conversation) that I am in fact not happy to stay on an extra week, and that I would like to finish 4 weeks from my resignation?

My concern is that because I have put it in writing that my last day would be 5 weeks from the date of resignation, that I might be committing some kind of breach.

sammy01

27 September 2015
what sort of entitlements do you have? long service leave? Look if you have 1 months long service leave I'd stay the extra week... Just to make sure they don't try and play funny games.
ALSO - if you want a good reference from the boss when applying for other jobs, I reckon doing the extra week might be something worth sucking up... Mate it is only 1 week...
But I do think you'd be within your rights to tell the boss that you're only staying for 4... But I reckon doing the extra week ain't a bad idea.