NSW Notice Period for Quitting a Job with Contract in Place?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lucaslly97

8 June 2018
Hi,

I had a casual/part time job which I signed an employment contract to work in. The contract didn’t say anything about other quitting consequences apart from losing 300$ deposit which I had given them at the beginning... or so I remember.

My question is, if I forfeit the 300$, can I quit my job? If I can quit my job, how short can the notice period be without legal consequences?

The 300$ is to make me work for 1 year before quitting.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Wow - you paid money to secure a job. Likely not legal at face value. But does depend on how they justify the money (eg external training costs, uniform - if allowed by award /EA))

Being casual no notice needed unless it is in your contract which you seem confident is not there.

Lucaslly97

8 June 2018
Actually I just got the contract copy, it demands a certain amount of time of notice but didn’t state any consequences if I break the contract. What happens if I quit on a short notice?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Hard to say without reading the contract in full. If you leave early it becomes breach of contract.

Lucaslly97

8 June 2018
What is the consequence of breach of contract? They didn’t mention any consequences in the contract.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
It will come down to what damages they incur as a result of you breaching the contract. I suspect they'd have a hard time proving any damages but then I don't know the full situation.

Lucaslly97

8 June 2018
I guess the damage would be to have to spend time finding someone to take my position?

It’s a teaching swimming job.

sneha

13 June 2018
The intimation before quitting the job is essential.The breaching of contract should not be violated. It is the law - the proper intimation should be given.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Which they have to do anyway. Damages here may be lost income if they have no other teacher ready to continue.

Lucaslly97

8 June 2018
Basically I discussed with the employer, the consensus is I can lose the 300$ and quit the job which she didn't state but I think was assumed since I suggested that I am not taking that back. But she did state that I can quit without consequence and that's all.
But I want to know if verbal abuse induced stress is a legitimate reason to break a contract?
What happens if she insist I need to work and I started to intentionally work like s**t? (Of course without the evidence that she said I can quit or the verbal abuse) I am just curious how the law can protect the employer.