NT Not Recognizing a Foreign Marriage

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SunshineGran

19 November 2017
According to the Marriage Act 1961, an overseas marriage won't be recognised if the marriage is valid under the law of the country where the marriage took place and as long as the marriage, if conducted in Australia, would still been considered valid. There are a list of supporting requirements that have to be considered (age, both people have to be single, etc.)

My granddaughter is in a situation where it turns out her overseas marriage wouldn't be valid in the laws of the country where it took place, but it would be valid in Australia.

Does it have to be valid in both places (place where it took place _and_ Australia), or will it be upheld as long as it would be valid in Australia?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If the marriage ceremony occurred overseas, and it is not recognised in that country, and there were no marriage ceremonies in Australia, then it is not a marriage recognised in Australia.

A marriage needs to satisfies both tests - be a valid marriage overseas AND would be valid if conducted in Australia.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
My granddaughter is in a situation where it turns out her overseas marriage wouldn't be valid in the laws of the country where it took place, but it would be valid in Australia.
I find this implausible, but not wholly inconceivable.
What's the background to her marriage?