VIC Non competition Clause in an employment contract

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tara

26 August 2018
Is it reasonable to have a non competition clause for a period of 3 years within any geographical area?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Only if on an exceptionally good salary with a termination 'bonus'!

Without more detail it is hard to say with certainty. For most jobs 6-12 months might be OK, and only then under specific conditions. If you have a garden variety job for a small/medium business then the employer is going to be hard pressed to make any non-compete stick.

Tara

26 August 2018
Only if on an exceptionally good salary with a termination 'bonus'!

Without more detail it is hard to say with certainty. For most jobs 6-12 months might be OK, and only then under specific conditions. If you have a garden variety job for a small/medium business then the employer is going to be hard pressed to make any non-compete stick.
Great thanks Rod. I can confirm my hourly salary is low ie., less than $30/hr and there's no payout upon departure. I do however have the ability to set up my own business outside my current employers geographical area. I make an considerable amount of money for my employer.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
You can pretty comfortably ignore it.
No court will uphold that.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney