NSW Restraint of Trade - Chances of Company Suing Me?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SusanG

26 March 2017
Hi,

I have recently accepted a job offer from a client, and my current company wants to enforce a non-compete clause. While the products for both companies are very different, I will be speaking to the same client base. My current company wants to sign a contract to ring fence the clients I can interact with for a period of 6 months.

I have declined signing this letter as this an unreasonable restraint of trade. They are suggesting legal action should I not sign this letter. My new company doesn't want me to sign the letter and has indicated the if I do they would rescind my contract.

It's even more complicated as I am on a 457 visa, and my visa has been transferred to the new company. So I could end up with no job if I do sign the contract!

What are the chances of my current company suing me? And what are my options?

Help

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hi,

I have recently accepted a job offer from a client, and my current company wants to enforce a non compete clause. While the products for both companies are very different, I will be speaking to the same client base. My current company wants to sign a contract to ring fence the clients I can interact with for a period of 6 months.

I have declined signing this letter as this an unreasonable limitation of trade. They are suggesting legal action should I not sign this letter. My new company doesn't want me to sign the letter and has indicated the if I do they would rescind my contract.

It's even more complicated as I am on a 457 visa, and my visa has been transferred to the new company. So I could end up with no job if I do sign the contract!

What are the chances of my current company suing me? And what are my options? Help
We answer this kind of question often.
Feel free to do an archive search using the window at the top of the screen.