QLD No Employment Contract After Acceptance of Job Position?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Santa

13 March 2017
Hi,

I was offered a position (email) nearly 5 weeks ago and I subsequently accepted the position within a few days of the offer. The formal offer did not include a start date however during the interview I was told that it may take a couple of weeks for the employment contract to be approved and signed by the director before it was sent to me.

It is now nearly 5 weeks since I accepted the offer and am getting the run around when I enquire as to the delay in receiving the employment contract.

I have rejected some casual work that was offered to me as I was expecting to start work some time ago. Being out of work for some time I am running extremely short of funds and am wondering if there is some legal recourse to take.

Thanks for your time.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

I'm not sure legal recourse is the best way to start a new job. It may be a legitimate delay. Sometimes it take HR a while to get their sh%t in one sock. If you have been dealing with HR, I would try contacting your new boss.

A quick call to reception should get you put through. Of course I'm assuming you haven't been dealing with your boss already, but it would be better to talk to them and be honest that you need a real end date because you don't have any money to be fobbed off for another week.

Try not to deal with HR, they are great at not being empathetic and dragging it out as long as they need to.

Serge Gorval

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
2 November 2015
Sydney
lawtap.com
In general terms, a contract is formed when agreement is reached. That is the offer made and accepted. The provision of an employment contract is a secondary issue.

If the business no longer wants to hire you then you need to explore why as there may be certain claims available to you as a prospective employee or in your case employee generally NB adverse action and breaches of general protections