QLD No Conviction Recorded - Future Repercussions

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Evan Saunders

22 November 2017
If your sentenced with no conviction recorded, how much can this effect you later on in life, in terms or employment, travel etc.? My lawyer said it shouldn't effect me at all, but he also said that he was disappointed I didn't get off with just a good behaviour bond/recognisance as these "disappear after their time is up whereas fines linger around. What did he mean by this?

Jonny Law

15 January 2016
You were still convicted of a crime so for example if you're filling out a job application and it asks "have you ever been convicted of a crime?" You have to say yes because if they check it will show up, but after 5 years you can apply to have it taken off your record. I believe it still shows when applying for government jobs though. But if the question reads "do you have any criminal convictions?" You can answer no.

Arche

20 March 2015
The previous advice is not correct. If you have been found guilty without a conviction being recorded then you have not been convicted. A finding of guilt and a conviction are not the same thing.

Also, there is no difference between a conviction and a criminal conviction.

Jonny Law

15 January 2016
The previous advice is not correct. If you have been found guilty without a conviction being recorded then you have not been convicted. A finding of guilt and a conviction are not the same thing.

Also, there is no difference between a conviction and a criminal conviction.

If you're found guilty you've been convicted of a crime whether or not a conviction is recorded. You're either convicted of a crime or acquitted. It's confusing I know, here's a link Conviction and non-conviction | Dribbin & Brown Criminal Lawyers | VIC