QLD No contact with my daughter

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jackson34

14 July 2019
I am paying child support for my 4 year old daughter whom I have never met. I haven't met her due to my child's mother giving me a hard time and I am newly married and my wife doesn't think i should meet my daughter given the age . In any case my daughters mother has court orders that she have sole parental responsibility. Deep down I would like to meet my daughter but I feel it would complicate many things.i don't know where my daughter lives and have no contacts for her. Do i have a right to see my daughter given this long time, if so how do i go about seeing her. I know the mum would never approve of me seeing her

hshkara

14 July 2019
When determining what are the best interests of the child, the court acknowledges that children should have the benefit of both of their parents having a meaningful involvement in their lives, to the maximum extent consistent with the best interests of the child.

Your first step is to reach out to her and potentially see if she would agree to attending mediation so you can come up with some arrangement as to how you would buil up time with your daughter.

If she does not agree to this, you could apply to the court for time with your daughter as you are an eligible parent under the family law act.

Click here to read more about fathers rights

Anon_ymous

27 July 2018
I am paying child support for my 4 year old daughter whom I have never met. I haven't met her due to my child's mother giving me a hard time and I am newly married and my wife doesn't think i should meet my daughter given the age . In any case my daughters mother has court orders that she have sole parental responsibility. Deep down I would like to meet my daughter but I feel it would complicate many things.i don't know where my daughter lives and have no contacts for her. Do i have a right to see my daughter given this long time, if so how do i go about seeing her. I know the mum would never approve of me seeing her

What was the court order that she has?
Have you had any involvement with your daughter other than paying CS? (which is a positive that you're paying).

What are the reasons that she would not allow you contact? What is your history with the mother, as in are there any concerns?

Familiarise yourself with the legislation so you understand how courts make decisions.
It is children that have the right to meaningful relationships with the parents so your daughterdoes have the right to see you.

The people here can give some pretty good advice.

Now I'm not an expert but I've picked up on a few things.

Do a search in this forum of key words for example "restricting access" "dad seeking increase in time" etc read through how other people are working through their circumstances and all the advice. It is invaluable.

Why is your wife worried about your daughters age? It would be great if your wife was on board, especially if the BM is going to make it difficult as you say.

I don't know the circumstances exactly as to why you have no contact but are you able to search social media or any other avenues to contact her?

LovingDad1973

9 July 2019
I agree with the advice above. Reach out to the mother and hopefully she will see the benefit to her daughter having her dad in her life.

If she doesnt play ball, go to mediation and then if Family Court is required start that process.

You are probably in for a long battle but believe me it will be worth it to be able to be a father to your daughter

Best of luck

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
Of course you should do it.

My partner (ex) has all kinds of issues from her father never making contact. We now suspect it was largely her mother preventing contact but the cause is really irrelevant when it comes to the damage it caused.