QLD No Contact with Ex - Get Some Custody of Children?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lk_97

21 July 2017
I'm just wondering where I should start. My partner's ex has taken his child away from him and left the state without his permission. She's blocked all contact to us and we have no way of contacting her. He hasn't seen his child in nearly 2 years.

I'm just wondering how can we get some sort of custody of children, seeing as though we have no way to get in contact with the mother? Where do we start?

I'm so upset seeing my partner so broken over all of this. Please help.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
First port of call is Legal Aid for both legal advice and to organise a family dispute resolution conference, which is a mandatory step in the family law process. Legal Aid will use its own sources to try and track down the ex, but if they can't, then your partner will be advised, given a s 60I certificate and he will be able to file an initiating application with the Court.

If you can't find the ex to serve documents, you can file for a location order, which is where the Court orders government agencies to disclose the ex's location in order to serve documents.

The whole process is a bit complex, so I don't want to overload you with information, but you asked what to do first, and the answer is to call Legal Aid. They offer free legal advice.