WA Next steps to take after moving on from regular weekly visits

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Patience

17 June 2017
Hi all,

I was granted orders to see my son late last year for unsupervised time to take place every Thursday afternoon and every day Sunday. This was after jumping through all the unnecessary hoops and putting up with supervision orders etc.. We've got a child dispute conference coming up next month, however, I was incredibly surprised to hear the 'Respondent' say to me at the last handover to perhaps email me some suggestions as to the next steps we should take in regard to our sons best interests, she's keen to try and get this resolved without continuing court action and wishes this had never come to this etc etc etc. Obviously I want to have a significant more amount of time with my son inclusive of overnight time so I'm wondering what would be the most likely outcome if I were to proceed with court action. I've completed all the orders handed down at the last hearing, had a hair folicle drug test (all negative) and enrolled in the courses that were ordered.

I'm a bit sceptical of the sudden desire to appear to want to cooperate with the process and sudden realisation that she needs to act in her son's best interests.. either way, it's a good thing so just wondering what realistic times and days I could hope for in this situation.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Be very careful... I would not respond to her in person. Always go through legal channels. You don't want her to turn this into you harassing her for more time. Remember her verbal communication can be denied... If you email her, that can't be denied.

So help us out.. I suppose the main thing is the age of the child?
I'd also suggest you don't respond directly to her. Wait until the dispute conference. Maybe she is just sounding you out so she has a head start on your expectations come dispute conference day... You say you want Tuesday, oh dear look at that mum has booked the kid in for ballet on Tuesday... Keep your cards close to your chest..

How much time with the kid? Well that really does depend on the age of the child as the greatest consideration. Answer that question and you'll get a more precise answer here.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I'd be wary as well. She may be thinking I'm going to do badly at court, I'll play nice, get him to drop court action, then go back to being to being nasty again once court action has terminated, leaving you to jump through all the same hoops again but 1- 2 years later.

If she really really means well she'll agree to consent orders that will be filed at court. Try consent orders as your first step.

Reactions: Patience

Patience

17 June 2017
Thanks guys, great responses which were pretty much my thoughts on the matter.

At the end of the day she’s got copies of the orders I’m seeking so there’s no need to go back and forth with negotiations in between court hearings. She can draft up consent orders along the lines of the orders that I’m seeking which I will accept. I will respond in a formal manner as I don’t want it turned around on me by her saying that I had an opportunity to negotiate further, clearly he doesn’t want to spend more time with his kid etc... our child is nearly 2.

There is absolutely no way I’ll drop the court proceedings given everything that’s happened so far to date.