QLD Newbie desperately wanting to get hands on good reading material for : understanding torts and biz

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
5 April 2018
Hello there new to law and understanding it intimately. I would like to understand my rights better and understand what is acceptable behaviour or not whilst at work and working with fellow contractors.
I believe I need to understand torts on the interpersonal level and I also want to understand better about business and contract law.
Recently have had difficult relations at work due to change in contract and company and also some new employees.
We use to work on contract how ever now we are on tax file number hired as casual.
Also some new employees are highly negligent of their role and put the contract into jeopardy. Regards ... RJ

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
It would be quicker and probably cheaper to have a discussion about your situation with an employment lawyer.

You would need texts on employment law, contract law, torts, and possibly corporations law. For good textbooks you are looking at $100-$200 each. Then factor in the hours and hours of reading to understand the book without having an understanding of civil procedure and legal principles.

You will undoubtedly learn some information, but you may miss something important. So, you've spent money buying books, spent many many hours reading trying to make sense of legal texts (without training) and you may not get a clear picture. OR you spend some money on a lawyer, save many hours of time, and likely get a better view as to your rights.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Reading legal texts without some foundation in law can be difficult. Understanding them can be harder.

I suggest you start by looking through the fairwork.gov.au website. It has a large amount of information you may find useful.