New (40km Demo) Jeep Renegade broke down within a week under normal use. Replacement/ refund?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Michael

29 January 2018
Hi guys. I recently bought a demo Jeep renegade sport with only 40km odometer. The dealer (best reputation in Sydney) claimed it as a new car since its just been driven to them from the other store.
I bought the car and used it with care for one week. One day, I was starting up the car and all of a sudden, I heard a loud crackle and the car almost jumped, I immediately hit brake and nearly crash into the car parking beside me. Then the car borke down, showing 'Check transmission'. And it was leaking fluid all the time. It took a few days for Jeep to arrange a tow that fits low clearence car park and towed it to my dealer. It's been another TWO weeks now and I asked my dealer today, she told me they are waiting for the parts to repair it. I had wrote to Jeep directly(online complaint) asking for a replacement but they didn't call me. Neither did they want to tell my dealer what's wrong with the car. The service is such a crap that you could expect better for buying a 5 dollar slipper. I don't know, if this is not eligible for a refund or replacement then what is? It's been just a week. It's definitely a major problem with the transmission. It could have been much worst, even costed lives if happened on the road. It certainly can't (Or won't) be fixed easily. So...what do you guys say? I really need help on what's the next step to take. Thanks so much!

Serge Gorval

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
2 November 2015
Sydney
lawtap.com
why dont you just ask for a refund under the Australian Consumer Guarantee as opposed to having the car repaired. clearly the car is a major failure ?