TAS Neighbour Refusing to Pay for Shared Bore Easement - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Spod

8 July 2017
We have a shared bore on a small easement. The bore pump is owned by us (although the neighbour thinks he owns it, but he has no proof, we do) and it is powered from our home, so we pay for the electricity it uses.

The neighbour is required to pay us for his water usage, ie the electricity his usage causes the pump to use. This is part of the easement agreement. For the last 3 years, he has refused to pay us due to unrelated disagreements (he does things like burning big piles of plastic, which is illegal and toxic, lets his animals run loose to cause damage etc, we had to call the council to stop him) and every time I bring it up he just screams "talk to my lawyer".

I have submitted bills to his lawyer numerous times with no result. He just ignores them, assuming the lawyer is actually passing them on (I'm not convinced he does, they are both farmer buddies).

The problem is exacerbated by him having numerous leaks on his side that make the bore pump run every 8-10 mins, so it is causing excessive wear and tear on the pump as well as greatly increasing electricity usage. The easement agreement also requires that he only use water on the cottage grounds, ie for the house and garden, but he has stock troughs etc connected to it as well.

He is also aggressive and can be violent, 3 years ago he entered my property, was filming me with his phone all while accusing me of trespassing (he was standing in my front yard while saying this!). He was told to leave and refused, kept filming and hit me in the face with his phone, which I took off him and threw over the fence (to remove the weapon and give him a reason to leave).

After shirt-fronting me, I told him to let go, he backed down like most bullies do and left. I then called the police, who had a chat to him. I discovered later that the day before this incident he had been in the council offices and did the same to the staff there, they had to evacuate the front desk until he left. I state this as a bit of background to the type of person he is.

So, question is, having given him numerous warnings that we are getting tired of him stealing from us, where should we go from here? I have talked to a couple of gov't depts and their response was "not our problem".

Am I within my property rights to simply disconnect him after a written warning? He claims water rights, but my lawyer (who we have already paid a fair bit of money to with no positive result, I don't have much faith in him to be honest) says that the agreement implies that the neighbour has rights to the water, but not our pump etc. Given that we are the only side of the agreement that is actually abiding by the agreement, I would have thought the agreement is void and we can just give him written warning and then disconnect him? Or, is there any organisation/govt department etc that actually deals with this sort of disagreement?

I suspect if I did disconnect him, his lawyer mate would jump in and start threatening us, so it would end up in court. I would expect that, given the neighbour's past history and behaviour, we would be vindicated in court, but would rather it not get that far.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Do not disconnect his water. Take him to court for non-payment of debts and seek an injunction to have the water leaks fixed at his cost.

Spod

8 July 2017
Thanks Rod, I really didn't want to take this to court, I just don't have time, working 2 jobs. I suspect that even if the court found in my favour, he would just ignore the ruling, he's like that, he makes stuff up in his head and then that becomes law to him, it's pretty odd, almost psychopathic behaviour really. But I will look into the injunction (how do I do this in tasmania?

Don't want to get the lawyer involved again, it has cost more than I will ever recover already), and might investigate a debt collection agency, maybe if they knock on his door that might be enough to change his mind, though I doubt it.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If you go to court and win then you go him for costs and if he refuses to follow orders he can be had for contempt of court.

Last edited:

Spod

8 July 2017
Sorry for the late response guys, my partner's dad got sick and died so she had to go overseas for a while and I was left holding the fort, caring for all the animals etc, and then into work deadlines, so haven't had time for much else lately.

Situation is, nothing seems to have changed, although I had a look at the Tas Dept of Justice website and seems we can just file papers for a small claim through the magistrates' court, no lawyers allowed if both sides don't agree, so we can keep his lawyer mate out of it. Is still a lot of hassle though, but a lot simpler than what my lawyer told me, which was that we would have to apply through the supreme court (anyone know a good lawyer in NE Tassie who actually knows what they are talking about?).

Really not very impressed with our last lawyer, who should have said "ok, let's do this to resolve it". Instead, he just encouraged us to send letters from their firm in the hope of getting our neighbour to comply, and when that didn't work, they seemed out of ideas.

While I appreciate the responses here, they seem to be just opinions, there's no indication that there are any actual lawyers watching this legal forum and giving advice. Maybe lawyers simply won't give it away unless they get their $400 an hour, but it's a pretty sad state of affairs when someone can ask a detailed question in a popular legal forum and have no indication if any of the responses are actually legally accurate.

So, I guess we continue on and try and find someone with actual expertise in these sorts of issues, but most lawyers around here don't seem very knowledgeable at all unfortunately.

Tripe

22 May 2017
Hi Lance

What is the wording of the easement? That is what a court will be reviewing, if he goes outside of this wording then you can stop him.

Tripe

22 May 2017
Hi Lance

That's very clear cut, your neighbour has expressed maintenance and power usage obligations, you need to send a Letter of Demand (google search this) to rectify the situation.

Also check for a community legal centre around your area, (Launceston?) you will be entitled to 1 hr of free legal advice.

You should also remember, easement are a purchased right!!! at some stage you or a previous property owner accepted a fee for the right of another to use your land.

Spod

8 July 2017
Hi Tripe,

Thanks, we already did the letter of demand through our lawyer, he just ignored it and did nothing. He has a lawyer farmer mate who is giving him free advice (we believe) so anything like this just costs us money, but not him. I talked to the legal advice centre here and they told us that they had no lawyers skilled in this area and we didn't qualify anyway. Typical Tassie.

We aren't stopping him using the easement to extract water from the bore, we've told him he is welcome to fit his own pump and power it from his house. The issue is he is connected to our pump using our electricity and refusing to pay for it. There's no reason why we should allow him to continue stealing electricity (via our pump) from us, am pretty sure no court would allow that.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
The main problem you will have here is that this site is designed to give answers to questions, not specific legal advice. You can get pointed in the general direction, but you won't get a detailed map. No lawyer could give you a definitive answer without a proper assessment of the full circumstances, which isn't capable of being done here.

The next issue is that property law is state based and you'd need a Tasmanian lawyer to give you the advice. I'm based in Queensland, so if this was a Queensland property I could definitely help. While I might have a general idea about what to do, there might be a particular peculiarity in Tasmanian law that I'm not aware of. If I give you some wrong information because I don't know that issue, no one is going to be happy. Add to that that most lawyers are risk averse, and when things go wrong the fingers tend to get pointed at the lawyers first, and you might understand why there may be a bit of reluctance to provide input.

I don't know if there are any lawyers on these forums who practise in Tasmania.

Spod

8 July 2017
Hi Rob,

Thanks, yes, there don't seem to be many lawyers here who really know property law, the one we used was supposed to but we just didn't really get good advice from him, we feel. I do understand the reluctance to offer legal advice, but from our point of view there seems to be no simple avenue to address such situations when one party is completely uncooperative, so it's all rather frustrating that a simple problem, with an obvious solution, can't be resolved without one party dragging the other party into court, possibly incurring excessive costs in the process.

I'm of the mindset now that we set up our water supply system of a primary rainwater tank (already installed) and a pressure pump, and have the bore pump refill the tank when it gets low, so the bore pump will run for a few mins every week, the rest of the time we simply don't provide power to the pumphouse. The neighbour will have no choice but to supply a pump for himself. We won't be stopping him accessing the bore with his own pump, we will simply be stopping him stealing from us.

But, as I mentioned, with his free legal advice and lawyer mate, I expect he would try to make it hard for us, so it will all end up in court anyway...