VIC Neighbour has a metal pipe garden frame attached to my side of the fence

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Somer

7 August 2018
My neighbour has 2 metal pipes about 3cm in diameter attached to my side of the fence holding up their climbing garden frame. They are about 2m high from ground level and attach from my side of the fence to their house. It has been there since we moved in. I want it removed from my property. What can I do about it? Can I just cut it off given that it’s on my property?

3875E06C-6B0B-47A6-A670-A74E108B8CBD — Postimage.org
a>

Last edited:

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
That would be a super dick move to just cut them down? The previous owner probably gave them permission.

Have you bothered to speak to your neighbour about it?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I'd suggest in the interests of neighbourly relations that you talk to them first. It's apparent they had the previous owner's permission. While you are probably within your rights to have them removed, I wouldn't expect the neighbours to take it particularly well if you haven't tried to talk to them about it first.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I agree a talk is best. It is not like this was a surprise before you moved in. Looks like the posts have been there for some time.

Think it is possible an implied easement or grant of right has been given in which case you do not have a right to remove the posts without the neighbour's permission. These rights run with the land and exist regardless of how many times the land is sold.